Odd Is The New Normal: Why You Shall Accept Your Inner Weirdness

October 25, 2016


Please click the title to read the entire article. 
Image Credits: pixabay.com

"In nature, nothing is perfect and everything is perfect. Trees can be contorted, bent in weird ways, and they're still beautiful." ~ Poet Alice Walker

Whether you chew like you are eating robust nails or you cannot sleep without your smelly childhood pillow, we all have characteristics that make us extraordinary. I am not referring to the abnormal deviance from the norm! I am simply talking about the humble quirks that makes us special. I think there is nothing wrong with being "weird"! In fact, weirdness can be one of your powerful strengths.


It hurts to be called weird, odd, eccentric, or misfit. However, you must try to change your mindset and take it as a compliment. Numerous valuable advances in technology, arts, and politics would have never existed without the unconventional thinking of the people who seem to behave weirdly. After the passing of eccentric people like Pythagoras and Oscar Wilde, they were considered as legendary. 

People who seem weird or eccentric possess the following characteristics, which may influence their interactions with the society:
  • Intense Curiosity
  • Idealism
  • Creativity
  • Non-conforming Attitude
  • Obsession (with a hobby or two)
When I think of the characteristics that make us unique, an American Psychologist comes to my mind. He is none other than Gordon Allport. Proprium is the term that he coined, which refers to all the characteristics that are peculiar to us. Those characteristics are what individuals regard as central, warm, and important to their lives. See? Being unique is not that bad! 

Let me share a recent experience of mine. A friend told me that I act awkwardly in social situations. For the most part, being "socially awkward" (SA) is a stigma. The stereotypical image portrayed by the media is that SA individuals lack self-confidence and are probably living in their relatives' basement. Contrary to popular belief, being socially awkward is due to the surge of anxiety triggered by the worries of social expectations. This anxiety is consistent within all the social situations. This is why I do not consider myself as SA. 

Do not get me wrong! I am not against people who are SA. However, I cannot deny that I enjoy the company of my friends and I can talk to strangers if I wanted to. I remember the grueling time that I spent in a government building. Instead of staring blankly into space for 5 hours, I mingled with the people next to me. These six people shared their life stories as if we knew each other for a long time. I felt comfortable. They felt comfortable. Before you know it, a mutual disclosure was shaping. My friend may think that I am SA because I act in a different manner depending on the people that I am interacting with. You see, I want to be civilized and respectful at all times. And, I cannot fake my feelings. This is why I find it hard to socialize with the people whom I like least. This leads to me acting awkwardly. New situations such as visiting in a new place or eating a new dish can trigger my awkwardness as well. I am fine with all these. I hope that you are fine with your quirks too!

People may point out your perceived flaws or quirks but that is just because of several factors such as:

(a.) they want you to change and grow for the better,
(b.) they are unconsciously insecure,
(c.) they are plainly bored, or
(d.) they think highly of themselves.
Image Credits: pixabay.com
If your personality is secured and rooted, you will take in the opinion of others and let them slide! Some people may deem you as weird. So what? Embrace your weirdness! No matter what they say, accept that you are one of a kind

Sources:  1,2& 3

Subscribe to Miss Psychobabble now! Olike it on Facebook to receive free updates.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

What is on your mind? I will get back to you as soon as possible! Thank you. :)

Like MP on Facebook